From 1 May 2015, the National Road Traffic Act requires that no babies and young children under the age of three are allowed to travel in cars on South African roads without being properly secured in an appropriate baby seat. This is the parents’ responsibility and failing to adhere to this can result in hefty fines.
Gumtree has a wide selection of new and second-hand car seats available. Budget and functionality are considered when choosing a car seat, but we would like to remind our users that safety should be at the top of the list. Although the cheapest option might seem like the most attractive one, there could be more to it than meets the eye.
Here are a few tips to ensure you are buying the best option:
1. Do a visual inspection of the item before concluding the purchase. Gumtree always suggests that users inspect items in person to ensure that the items are in the condition they were advertised. More safety tips here
2. Check for missing pieces and sturdiness of the car seat
3. Ensure that all the seat functions are working properly
4. Look under the seat covers for dirt or broken styrofoam parts
5. We implore our users to make sure that the car seat they buy complies with the local safety regulations. ECE R44/04 regulations are homologated in terms of S.A law and offer the bare minimum in terms of car seat safety. More information can be found here
Below are a few examples of car seats that do not comply with the regulations:
Gumtree has created this article with the help of a reputable NGO ,Wheel Well