Hundreds of thousands of people are selling items on Gumtree at any one time so we’ve knocked together a few insider tips to help you maximise your chances of selling your goods on Gumtree.
- Pick the right price - The price you set could be the deciding factor in whether or not you are successful in selling. If you price too high, you might scare off buyers but if you go too low, you may be doing your own pocket a disservice.
Picking the right price is key so do your research by browsing the site to see what similar items in comparable condition are selling for.
Remember, buyers will often try to negotiate a lower price, so it might be worth your while to add a small mark-up of around 10-20% to the final amount you are hoping to make.
- Offer a guarantee on electronic goods Purchasing expensive electronic goods on Gumtree might make some buyers nervous. In order to reassure prospective buyers and improve your chances of selling digital wares, include a guarantee in your ad copy. A 7-day money back guarantee could go a long way in boosting buyer confidence.
- Provide viewing and pick-up details Before purchasing an item, a prospective buyer will usually want to view it in person. Save yourself the time and hassle of replying to multiple emails asking the same question and simply provide the time and days that suit you for a viewing.
- Be honest You know what they say… honesty is the best policy and when it comes to posting an online classified ad, it’s important to relay accurate information about the item you are selling.
If you mislead prospective buyers by providing false or exaggerated information about the item, you risk disappointing those who turn up to view it. A disappointed viewer who came expecting one thing and was presented with another is unlikely to go through with the transaction, which means your chances of seller success are in danger.
If you are a frequent Gumtree seller, building trust is crucial to your continued success so aim to write accurate and honest ads which will impress buyers.
- Respond to replies quickly If a buyer is in the market for a specific item that is widely available on Gumtree, they’re likely to reply to multiple different sellers at once. Act quickly and you could boost your chances of being the lucky one who makes the sale. Respond to emails, phone calls and SMSs from prospective buyers soon after receiving them and you could be the one who walks away with the cash.
- Remove an item once it has been sold Well done, you’ve sold an item on Gumtree! Someone has paid for and picked it up and it is no longer in your possession – now is the time to delete the ad from Gumtree. Doing this soon after the transaction has taken place will minimise enquiries from other hopeful buyers.
- Visit Gumtree’s help page Our help page is packed with more tips for using Gumtree, a troubleshooting guide, FAQs and advice to help you use Gumtree as safely and securely as possible. It’s worth familiarising yourself with this section of the website to enhance your Gumtree experience.