ID verification FAQ
Gumtree sellers will now have the opportunity to verify their ID on their My Profile page. User ID information will not be made public. However, if a seller’s ID is successfully verified,together with their email and mobile number, the account will show an additional verification badge to indicate to buyers that the ID matches the credentials of the Gumtree account owner. Please note that the ID verification can only be done from your mobile device.
Does Gumtree store my ID information on their system?
Gumtree doesn’t store or collect any data related to your ID. During the ID verification process, users will be directed to XDS (Xpert Decision Systems), a credit bureau in South Africa, to complete the ID verification process.
Does XDS store my ID information on their system?
Yes, XDS will be storing the information you provide in order to verify your identity with your consent and for audit purposes. XDS will ensure necessary security controls are implemented to keep your personal information secure.
What are the benefits of verifying my ID?
Benefits for sellers:
ID Verification shows buyers that they can make a purchase from you with confidence as you are using your real identity to transact on Gumtree. XDS is South Africa's largest locally owned credit bureau. XDS maintains the highest standards of confidentiality and data protection.
XDS will confirm that your South African ID number matches your identity as per the government database. Then, using secure facial recognition software, they will confirm your stated identity matches your photograph as per your chosen ID document. ID Verified Users that have also verified their email and mobile number will receive a special badge on their Gumtree profile, but no other information (including your ID number) will be displayed, collected or stored by Gumtree during this process.
Benefits for buyers:
Buyers will now be able to refine their searches to only show ads from sellers that have been ID-verified, allowing buyers to buy with confidence.
How do I verify my ID?
1. Users should be able to start the verification process by navigating to your “My Profile” page on your Mobile device.
2. Once you start the verification process, you should be directed to XDS for further instructions.
3. To start the verification process you will need your South African ID number.
4. Once you’ve entered your ID, you will be required to take a selfie. Make sure you can take pictures with your mobile device.
5. Once done, you will be directed back to your My Profile page, where you will be able to see if the verification process was successful or not.
Why did my ID verification fail?
Below are a few reasons why your ID verification could’ve failed:
• Your ID picture stored with the Government Department is of poor quality, and it’s making it hard to match with the selfie picture you’ve taken.
• The selfie picture you've taken is of poor quality, and it is making it hard to match with your ID picture stored with the Government Department.
• The Government Department has no images to match with your selfie picture.
Here are some tips if your first verification attempt failed:
• Check the lighting of your picture – make sure that you are in a well-lit room with natural light coming from the front.
• Make sure you entered your ID number correctly.
• Ensure you have a South African issued ID number. Unfortunately, we can only accept IDs of South African citizens due to the verification done by XDS.
Please take note:
• The ID verification done on a Gumtree account is permanent and cannot be changed once completed.
• An ID can only be successfully verified to one Gumtree account.
Please reach out to the Gumtree helpdesk if you have any questions.