Gumtree is always happy to assist and offer advice to our users. However, we also ask our users to be vigilant and ensure that the items/services are in the condition advertised by sellers.
How Can I Ensure That the Item Is in the Condition Advertised?
• Plug-in or test the item and all its functionalities during the meet-up.
• If you are buying an item you are not familiar with, ask someone with knowledge on the item to accompany you to complete the purchase.
• Research the item: The internet is a great place to find additional information on items e.g. common faults, market price, specifications.
• Ask the seller questions: Make sure to ask the seller all the required questions (Age of the item, how many times was the item used etc.) before completing the purchase.
How Can I Ensure That the Service Provider Will Meet My Quality Standards?
• Meet the service provider in person before making any payment.
What Happens When There’s An Issue With the Item / Service I’ve Bought / Paid for?
Gumtree is only a platform for buyers and sellers to meet. However, we would still suggest that you report the incident to us so that it can be recorded. Each case is investigated, and all factors are taken into consideration. Please note that not all reports will result in the seller’s account being restricted. If we are unable to resolve the case, we suggest taking the matter to court.
Does Gumtree Offer Any Buyer Protection?
Gumtree doesn’t own any of the items sold on our platform, which means that we are unable to guarantee the quality of the services/items. Sellers are under no obligation to refund the buyer if they are unhappy with the item after payment. It’s the buyer’s responsibility to inspect the item during the transaction to ensure the item is in the condition advertised.
Note: Take your time and don't rush into any decisions - if in doubt, walk away. You are not obligated to go through with a transaction, even if you’ve already agreed on a price.