When browsing the site, bear in mind that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
A few helpful tips when buying on Gumtree:
If someone wants to move the conversation off the Gumtree platform, to private email, SMS, or WhatsApp, prior to a verbal exchange about the potential transaction, this is highly suspicious.
• Gumtree encourages face-to-face, local, trading - When you find an item you'd like to buy, ask to meet in-person to see the item or vehicle and exchange money in a safe public place.
• Use the Gumtree chat. The chat helps keep your personal information safe, and is never shared with the seller or anyone else.
• Flag suspicious messages through the Report Conversation option or reach out to our helpdesk.
• Never provide your personal or banking information (EG: Credit Card or ID number) to others over the internet .
• Do not pay using any form of anonymous payment services, including: Bidpay, eWallet, Western Union, PayPal or Money Gram.