There are some dodgy people out there, and despite our efforts to keep them from Gumtree and protect you, occasionally a bogus ad or buyer slips through. Read here for some common scams to watch out for.
1. Scams buyers will encounter:
• Sellers that ask for an upfront deposit for an item/vehicle
2. Scams sellers will encounter:
• A buyer sending a fake proof of payment to the seller
• A buyer sending a Whatsapp or direct message, advising that the item has been paid for and requiring sellers to enter their credit card details to receive payment
• A buyer wanting to make use of Bidpay, eWallet, Western Union, PayPal or Money Gram as a payment method
• A buyer depositing an invalid cheque
• A buyer sends a driver to pick up an item:
If you are suspicious of a buyer or seller, reach out to us through our Gumtree Contact Us page.