Gumtree is a great place to help find a new home for pets, no matter how big or small. Gumtree always suggests meeting sellers in person when adopting a pet to inspect the environment in which the pets were brought up and to check the necessary documentation.
It is the sellers' responsibility to ensure all pets advertised on Gumtree adhere to Gumtree policies and that the pets are in a healthy condition. If we have reason to believe this is not the case, further action will be taken.
Below are policies that all pet ads need to adhere to as well as diseases and viruses to be aware of to ensure the pets you are adopting are healthy.
Dogs & Cats
- Dogs: must be at least 8 weeks old when sold/adopted, and the date of birth (DOB) must be included in the ad
- Cats: must be at least 8 weeks old when sold/adopted, and the date of birth (DOB) must be included in the ad
- Dogs and cats put up for adoption/sale on Gumtree must be vaccinated AND vet checked. Please note, that both vet checked and vaccinated must be stated in the ad. Gumtree may request documentation to confirm vaccination and vet check status. Buyers can request the vaccination documentation from the seller as well.
What is Parvovirus:
Parvovirus can be a deadly virus in young dogs, especially puppies. Puppies between the ages of six weeks and six months are most vulnerable.
Parvovirus is most often spread through exposure to the faeces of infected dogs. Dogs that have parvo generally don’t develop symptoms for three to seven days, but they can still be infectious.
1. Unexpected tiredness or lethargy.
2. The puppy may lose their appetite as the virus attacks their small intestine lining.
3. Shortly after, they will spike a sudden fever and begin to have diarrhoea and vomiting.
- Gumtree requires that all Rabbits advertised must be at least 6 weeks old when sold/adopted, and the age must be included in the ad
Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease:
What is RHDV:
RHDV was identified in 1984 as the agent of a highly contagious, acute and fatal disease of rabbits (RHD).
Both viruses causing RHD are extremely contagious. Transmission occurs by direct contact with infected animals, carcasses, bodily fluids (urine, faeces, respiratory secretions), and hair. Surviving rabbits may be contagious for up to 2 months.
1. Rabbits are inactive and reluctant to move.
2. Rabbits may develop a fever up to 42 °C (107.6 °F) and have increased heart and respiratory rates.
3. Bloody discharge from the nose, mouth, or vulva is common, as is blood in the faeces or urine.
We do not condone or accept any irresponsible breeding on our platform. If you encounter any sellers that are not adhering to our platform rules, please report them to us by using the "report ad" button on the specific ad or by sending us an email.
Gumtree has made these policies with the well-being of animals in mind and had constructed these policies in collaboration with the SPCA, Beauty without Cruelty (an animal rights organization), Ban Animal Trading, FOUR PAWS Animal Welfare Foundation, and the Gumtree community. Gumtree is a platform to find good new homes for all types of pets.